Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Patience may pay off

I have a working oven. Yay!!

The repair guy called on Friday and said, "You wanna hear something funny? The part just showed up on my doorstep." I didn't think it was funny; I thought it was about time. He thought it was ironic because two weeks earlier he had turned the whole thing back over to the warranty company. I don't know what that means, "turned it over," although I guess it involves telling them, basically, "I can't get this part. You try;" and maybe it also involves him giving up his fee.

"So what do you want me to do with this?" he said.

What a silly question.

He meant, I guess, are you pursuing other solutions, like getting the oven replaced. But the only option the warranty people had offered so far (only if the part was not delivered by Friday) was sending the defective bit somewhere to get rebuilt. Who knows how long that would've taken.

So I said, "How about if you come fix it."

He came about 10 minutes to five on Monday. At two that afternoon I had called him to say, "Was I supposed to call you about setting up an appointment time? Or were you going to call me? I forget." Turns out he was dealing with some legal difficulties involving back child support, and it was taking most of the day. He told me all about it when he came that evening to replace the erstwhile control board--which took very little time once he actually had it in hand.

I baked chicken for dinner (a lovely recipe that involves shaking the chicken in crushed cornflakes and ranch dressing mix) with baked potatoes (although, since I couldn't start dinner until almost 5:30, we still had to finish the potatoes in the microwave). That night I baked cookies. Mmmm, warm chocolate chip cookies. And I have to say, making my weekly menu list yesterday was unbelievably easy. I made menues for the next TWO weeks, and none of it involves rice (we love rice, but enough is enough).

One thing I do find funny, though, is that my sister-in-law's oven has been broken for four years. They don't miss it, since Nigerian food doesn't involve baking. They use the non-functioning oven for storage.

That's one patience test successfully completed. As for the other, we're still waiting to hear about our future. Will we stay here, will we move? When the company's self-imposed deadline came, at the end of January, they did put out an announcement. It said: We have to recalculate given the current economic conditions. We'll have a town hall meeting in a couple of weeks to announce the plan.

One guy in our ward claims that at this alleged meeting all the employees should sit on one side and all the spouses should sit on the other side. That way the administration won't know which spouse goes with which employee. Then the spouses should speak up and let them have it.

I was trying to remember, have I prayed for patience recently?

4 comments:

Mrs Abbott said...

Yay, Jen! I'm glad your oven is fixed! Lately- okay once- I bought pre-made cookie dough and have cooked only six at a time. That way you get fresh cookies in ten minutes. Ah, the joy! I really should do home-made but haven't found the time lately. I even put all the ingredients on the counter one day and it sat there for two days and then I had my Pampered Chef party and couldn't have that sitting on my counter, so I scooped it all into a low box and it is now sitting on the floor. Although now so much time has passed that I have a conundrum- do I make these chocolate chip cookies that I've planned to or do I use the three sticks of butter that are now softening on the counter for heart shaped sugar cookies with pink icing and sprinkles. I think the sugar cookies win! Hopefully I'll find the time and hopefully we won't get sick eating them. You know how the Abbotts get with fresh sugar cookies and frosting.

Ellen said...

stYeah Jen! Hopefully your oven can handle all of this new found work for it.

Jen said...

Megan, you're hilarious. And yes, I know very well how Abbotts get with fresh cookies and frosting. Was Josh there for the Great Sugar Cookie Debacle, or did we tell you about that? And the one licking out the bowl of frosting at the end was Grandpa!

Boo said...

I don't remember any Great Sugar Cookie Debacle. What happened? And where was I? The thought of Grandpa licking a bowl is hilarious.