Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Birthday Weekend


I've been wanting cake. Reading the cakewrecks blog will do that, even if you don't want the particular example being featured. So a birthday seemed the natural way to satisfy the craving.

But here's the thing: you can't eat birthday cake all by yourself, or even with just your loving spouse. Candles seem a little pathetic at that point, not to mention singing. I know this for a fact, because I tried it last year. That was a great birthday, with a ride on the ski lift over the fall-colored mountains, followed by dinner at a lovely restaurant. But I shouldn't have tried to squeeze cake in, especially since I'm the only cake eater in this house (though recognizing that, I was at least smart enough to buy a little-bitty, two-serving speciman).

So this year I opted for a party as a setting to share cake. It started small enough. I figured I'd invite two couples that we've gotten close to, and their kids (which aren't many). We'd do it Sunday night, because it'd be low-key. Oh, and let's invite that new couple; they need to meet more people. And the friend that I walk with, and her family. She's so much fun. How about that other sister who's been so sweet and welcoming. Let's invite our next-door neighbors, who brought us cookies the very first Sunday we were here. Being neighborly doesn't come naturally to me, but here's a chance to work on that. And finally, that friend from Uchenna's work, the single guy who got hired the same time as we did and gives Uche a ride home every night.

To those of you who came to our wedding, this may sound like a familiar sequence of events. If care is not taken, it may become our modis operandi.

I tend to be slap-dash about planning and logistics, but fortunately Uchenna is not only detail-oriented but also very serious about entertaining. How many pieces of cake will you have, he asked. And how many people are coming, exactly? Some people may want more than one piece. Yes, you do have to count all the children. He also reviewed my spread: You need more to drink than a bottle of Sprite, and better get another box of crackers. Because when everyone shows up, he told me, you can't say, Oh you came. They will say, But you invited me.

Good thing he gave his input, because (1) I was focused on the artistic part--the cake, which took up most of Saturday (I had fun, but don't look at those butterfles too closely), and (2) everyone came. Turns out it was the perfect amount of food for the perfect number of people. And the kids finally put our back yard to good use (thank goodness for perfect weather).


You're probably thinking that these little guys (mini bundt cakes cut and arranged strategically) are slugs. But think of them in context of the butterflies and you'll realize that they are in fact catepillars. When I made them I laughed and laughed. Probably not a good sign.

One last birthday note: I had originally said, let's have a party instead of gifts and going out to dinner. In Uchenna's mind "instead of" became "along with." So I'm very excited expecting a grinder attachment for my KitchenAid. It should come in the mail any day now. Whoohoo! Oh, I also have a lovely card and bouquet of roses on my table. (Happy sigh) I love birthdays.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

I love those cakes! The caterpillars are great! The cake wreck blog does that to me too and I've been so bummed to be in India and not be able to get cake.

What a fun birthday. I don't know about you but mine has really snuck up on me. I'm hoping to have a place to live by then.

Missa said...

It seems sad, in a household dominated by the evil cake book, to have to find an excuse for cake. Isn't any day a good day for cake? The other morning Katrina woke me up at 6 am. With nothing better to do, I decided to make breakfast. I broke out the evil cake book and made honey bun cake. (It was in the coffee cakes section--that's nutritious, right?) Yea, cake for breakfast. It was so sweet!!!

Thanks for sharing your cute cakes with us. It sounds like a fun day.
Happy (late) birthday.

Hilary said...

Happy Birthday Jen!! What a fun party. I love your cakes. And those candles are great. Dave's not a huge cake fan either, so I have to really do my part to finish them off before they get stale. It's hard work, but someone's got to do it.